Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct sample accessioning in a high-complexity laboratory operation including decision-making, response to problems, identifying errors and taking corrective actions.
- Adhere to proper resource allocation and coordination. Ensuring maximum efficiency in the use of personnel; controlling departmental supply expenses. Manage and share daily workload; use time wisely, providing a productive atmosphere.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of test methodologies and quality control.
- Ensure integrity of specimen identification procedures are followed.
- Assure that all remedial actions are taken whenever specimen identification and patient demographics do not meet established performance specifications.
- Provide orientation and training to all personnel.
- Perform, evaluate and document employee competency.
- Perform, evaluate and document employee performance appraisals.
- Develop, write, review and implement operational procedures and policies, as approved by Director or Manager.
- Assures laboratory functions in a manner consistent with laboratory, CLIA and local regulations.
- Prepare laboratory for inspections and prepare reports as needed.
- Demonstrate technical expertise and perform duties of laboratory accessioners, as needed.
- Ensure safety, security, and the environment in all aspect of the daily activities, and any potential safety hazards are addressed and corrected immediately.
- Understand ergonomic relationship between people, equipment and working environment.
- Maintain good communication with leadership, team members, and customers.
- Demonstrate an awareness of client expectations and seek ways to satisfy.
- Demonstrate proficiency in all laboratory computer related tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
BS Degree in biology or related scientific discipline
Have at least 1 year of laboratory training or experience (or both) doing high complexity testing
- Previous supervisory experience in a clinical laboratory setting highly desired.
- Hands on technical expertise in Infectious Disease testing highly desired.
- Experience with LIMS and laboratory automation highly desired.
- Have practical knowledge of routine laboratory equipment and procedures.
- Be detail-oriented, well-organized, and demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good, accurate computer skills.
- Able to work effectively and able to deliver on tight datelines.
- Clinical Public Health Laboratory environment; exposure to blood borne pathogens; must wear personal protective equipment including lab coat, gloves and completely closed footwear.
- Employee may be requested to work shifts other than daylight depending on the needs of the laboratory.
- Weekend rotation may be required.
- Travel is not required.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use a keyboard, type, and occasionally stand and move to other parts of the lab.
- Must have manual dexterity to use lab equipment.
- Reach above/below the shoulder, bend at the knees and waist.
- Able to lift boxes up to 25 pounds.
Accessioning team members
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of this job at any time.
Diversity is foundational to PerkinElmer and we know that hiring talent with different backgrounds will provide a greater impact for our customers and a more inclusive workplace for our team. Our commitment to creating a culturally diverse workplace is REAL! We know that it’s the people that make PerkinElmer a wonderful, enriching place to work that is why we are always searching for talented and motivated individuals to join the PerkinElmer Family.
So what’s in it for you?
We create a customized development plan to help you achieve your career goals. We partner with you to build a long and rewarding career by providing:
- On-the-job training
- Mentoring relationships
- Ongoing career development planning
- Company and external training programs
- Opportunities for internal career mobility
Our company fosters innovation, knowledge sharing, and teamwork for long-term success. We are committed to the development of your career, giving you opportunities to learn and grow. Simply put, we make a difference for you, so you can make a difference in the world.
We are passionate about our work and the benefits we create for our customers, our communities, and our environment. Every day, we help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
With about 13,000 employees worldwide, we pioneer scientific technologies for food and drug safety, environmental monitoring, industrial analysis, screening and diagnostic testing, and imaging for life sciences. We provide better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers make a profound impact on the world.