Sodexo is seeking a Chef Manager/Mashgiach to operate our kosher dining program at Franklin and Marshall College located in Lancaster, PA..
Candidates will work directly with unit managers on all items related to offering a full service kosher program including food production, catering and Human Resources requirements.
The Mashgiach’s primary role is to ensure appropriate Kosher Supervision for the Franklin and Marshall Kosher Dining operation (KIVO). Additionally, the Mashgiach will serve as a Chef Manager to support the Campus Executive Chef and General Manager as detailed below.
- Must be a qualified Mashgiach approved by the Star K of Baltimore
- Reports to, and is supervised by, the Campus Executive Chef.
- Assists with the planning, direction, and coordination of the flow of food and related products from point of receipt to point of service.
- Facilitates customer, client, and employee satisfaction.
- Maintains the highest level of product quality, facility sanitation, Company Policies and Procedures and exceptional service.
- Ensures and encourages communication, education and inspiration on all levels.
- Reacts proactively, works with integrity, displays pride and values a strong work ethic.
- In consultation with the Campus Executive Chef and the General Manager, rewards and counsels staff accordingly and fairly, and promotes a strong team culture.
- 3-5 years experience
- Computer literacy, including Excel, Word, Market Connection or other food ordering systems
- College degree preferred
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays as needed
Responsibilities: Food Service & Kashrut
- Hires and trains culinary staff in the proper procedures of a Kosher Kitchen.
- Provides fair, equal and consistent positive and constructive feedback to employees in order to motivate, reward, coach and correct.
- Trains all kitchen personnel in Kashrut rules according to Star K of Baltimore regulations
- Trains all dining rooms and all other staff members of the facility in Kashrut regulations.
- Schedules additional staff as needed for catering or additional functions.
- Manages and maintains staff time records and submits them for payment in a timely fashion.
- Assists with preparation of and makes recommendations for labor schedules to provide adequate staff presence per shift within budget. Helps to ensure that shifts are covered due to callouts, extended leave or vacations. Minimizes and justifies overtime. Helps to properly maintain time and payroll records for staff and themselves.
- Assists with supervision of culinary personnel to ensure economical and timely food production.
- Assists General Manager with compliance with all federal, state and local regulations as well as Sodexo/Client policies and procedures i.e. quality assurance, OSHA, HACCP, SERVSafe, operations &, personnel policies.
Food Management, Food Service:
- Assists with daily operations of inventory and procurement operations of food and supplies to ensure employees have appropriate equipment, supplies and resources to perform their jobs and meet goals, cost controls and deadlines.
- Participates in planning menus and events accounting for customer preferences and dietary needs, seasonality, and local product availability.
- Assists in creating menus to manage recipes, production & food costs.
- Assists with ordering of food and scheduling delivery of and related supplies from local/regional approved vendors using an approved ordering system (Market Connection) Also manages inventory using same. Provides input to estimate food consumption in order to procure appropriate number of supplies. Shops and picks up from local vendors as needed in response to shortage on delivery, or product unavailability.
- Serves as point-of-receipt inspector of all foods. Returns all products deemed unacceptable and provides follow through with vendors to replace or substitute returned items.
- Works with Central Receiving to assure correct storage practices and inventory rotation in accordance with Star K of Baltimore rules, HACCP, Serve Safe and OSHA procedures.
- Assists Campus Executive Chef and General Manager in ensuring production standards and financial procedures.
- Assists with ensuring proper recipe compliance, so that culinary staff understands the financial value of product control and the marketing value of product consistency.
- Assists with food fabrication, preparation, and service when available/appropriate/necessary. This could include simple tasks such as chopping vegetables or working the line to more complicated techniques of preparation, presentation, and service.
- Assists other areas of operation when necessary, within the perimeters of Star K guidelines
- Completes Human Resource functions as necessary.
Responsible for the day to day execution of the menus & culinary deliverables. May be responsible for smaller units within a multi-location.
– Executes the culinary function.
– Customer & Client satisfaction.
– Handles administrative functions.
Qualifications & Requirements
Basic Education Requirement – High School Diploma or GED or equivalent
Basic Management Experience – 1 year
We serve to uplift communities, to advocate equity, to ensure inclusion, to be a force for change, We are SodexoMagic. We sustain and empower communities everywhere through healthy food and exceptional services. We stand with our employees and partners to ensure quality of life services that safeguard wellness for all communities to create a just and more equitable future for all people. Through who we are, through what we do, through our legacy, we stand committed to…serving equality for communities.
“We always overdeliver to our customers. We want to make sure we put a smile on their face each and every day. As the leader, I want to empower our team to deliver best in class service.” - MAGIC JOHNSON
SodexoMagic was founded in 2006 between Sodexo and NBA Hall of Famer, Magic Johnson. Mr. Johnson knows what it takes to motivate and create a winning team. With now over 6,500+ employees (72% diverse) serving more than 1,700 sites, we always over deliver to our customers. Industries we serve include Colleges/Universities, K-12, Corporate and Healthcare.
SodexoMagic operates under the following pillars:
We are committed to providing the highest possible quality of food and service to our communities. Our Chief Culinary Advisor, Chef Garvin leads our community of chefs using food to inspire and delivering great recipes that present healthier choices for our clients and customers.
QUALITY OF LIFE
Because we are the communities we serve, it is crucial that we understand the people we interact with daily: their challenges as well as their dreams. Through employment opportunities, community events, and philanthropic endeavors, we are dedicated to those who make us who we are.
We champion programs geared toward mental health and are dedicated to the power of collaboration to spark healthy communities.
We are committed to supporting diversity and inclusion through purchases of goods and services from minority and women -owned businesses. All neighborhoods deserve every opportunity to thrive and grow.