ChemDraw Product Manager-REMOTE
We are looking for an experienced scientific software leader to drive the direction of one of PerkinElmer Informatics most strategic product portfolios: ChemDraw. ChemDraw is well established in the market and is loved by its users. We are now looking to bring ChemDraw to a next stage in evolution and we need someone to lead that charge. If you have a deep chemistry background and experience with enterprise software products or projects, this could be your dream job.
This role will act as the liaison between users (PerkinElmer customers) and the PerkinElmer software. As such, this person will be responsible for the “customer handshake” (listening to requirements, brainstorming ideas, getting feedback on design) as well as the definition and documentation of these requirements for the software engineers.
This role requires someone who is adept at managing interdependencies and communicating at multiple levels from long-term vision to detailed technical requirements including various stakeholders including business representatives and technical design teams.
This is a product management position, but having product management experience is not required. The ideal candidate has the trifecta of experience/capability: chemistry background, experience building or implementing software solutions, and the ability to “talk tech” with software engineers.
This is a remote position, with proximity to the Eastern United States time zone preferred. Occasional travel required for customer visits and internal strategy meetings.
Job Summary & Responsibilities
- Identify market needs through market research supported by visits to current / prospective customers
- Generate ideas for new and existing products
- Work cross-functionally to define go-to-market strategy, create product positioning statements, articulate key benefits and target customer profile
- Work with R&D and Services to build and deliver product and product based solutions to customers
- Evangelize – both internally and externally – the product offerings
- Create, maintain and assume accountability for a culture of high customer service
- Create crisp and clear requirements documentation for new product ideas/ product enhancement
- Get product ideas approved and product development activities initiated
- Play a hands-on role in early days of product (during development, initial proof of concept engagements with select customers) to demonstrate value of product to customer
- Deliver engaging, informative and well-organized presentations, as needed
- PhD in Chemistry or related discipline
- 5 + years of experience in building or using enterprise software solutions
- Sound understanding of software product life cycle management
- Experience in end-to-end execution of product launch strategies
- Experience and understanding with laboratory workflows
- Demonstrated requirements analysis & documentation experience
- Previous experience as a software product manager is a nice-to-have: anyone with proven experience “bridging the gap” from requirements to design to software-build is encouraged to apply
- Results focused
- Demonstrated success in developing new product or solution ideas
- Launching new software products
- Translating needs into actionable technical requirements
- Attention to detail and a concern for quality
- Strategic Perspective
- Business & technically savvy; has big picture vision and drive to make that vision a reality
- Strong verbal and written communication skills used across multiple and varied stakeholders
- Business planning
- Planning, prioritizing and reporting at the tactical level as well as the strategic level
Diversity is foundational to PerkinElmer and we know that hiring talent with different backgrounds will provide a greater impact for our customers and a more inclusive workplace for our team. Our commitment to creating a culturally diverse workplace is REAL! We know that it’s the people that make PerkinElmer a wonderful, enriching place to work that is why we are always searching for talented and motivated individuals to join the PerkinElmer Family.
So what’s in it for you?
We create a customized development plan to help you achieve your career goals. We partner with you to build a long and rewarding career by providing:
- On-the-job training
- Mentoring relationships
- Ongoing career development planning
- Company and external training programs
- Opportunities for internal career mobility
Our company fosters innovation, knowledge sharing, and teamwork for long-term success. We are committed to the development of your career, giving you opportunities to learn and grow. Simply put, we make a difference for you, so you can make a difference in the world.
We are passionate about our work and the benefits we create for our customers, our communities, and our environment. Every day, we help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
With about 13,000 employees worldwide, we pioneer scientific technologies for food and drug safety, environmental monitoring, industrial analysis, screening and diagnostic testing, and imaging for life sciences. We provide better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers make a profound impact on the world.