Chemical Management Specialist
We are looking for a highly motivated chemical specialist to provide critical lab support at a customer site in Rockville, MD. The chemical specialist owns and manages chemical inventory of the site. The Chemical management function is a service that provides safe and timely delivery of critical fine chemicals for the customer Research and Development operations. The chemical specialist strictly adheres to safety policies and procedures, maintains excellent communication with scientific staff, and provides monthly metrics to management. A successful candidate should have great attention to details, outstanding organizational skills, and the ability to communicate effectively and be able to work independently. This candidate should also have good computer skills and be able to enter scientific data into inventory management systems with speed and accuracy.
- Main driver for the implementation and development of a robust chemical management system
- Manage processing of chemicals in and out of Points of use, flammable, and corrosive cabinets in accordance with the customer’s policies.
- Maintenance of chemical storage room and lab locations: stocking drop zones and ordering stock chemicals, removal of expired reagents/inventory, and periodic check of inventory in lab locations.
- Deliver requested chemicals to appropriate laboratory location and receive chemicals to inventory in the chemical management system.
- Verify safety data sheet (SDS) documents in association with the chemical inventories.
- Log /register all compounds, purchased, or synthesized by customer-on-customer registry system in accordance with customer policies.
- Hazardous goods management and transport to specific locations in the building.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of this job at any time
- Associates degree with 1-2 years relevant experience, in a biology/chemical specialty, safety, or biotechnology field/role.
- Must have experience with inventory management including chemicals and other consumables.
- Experience with inventory management software is required
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or Biology preferred
- Experience in labeling of new chemicals (i.e., peroxides, water-reactive, etc.).
- Proven understanding of basic chemistry is a plus.
- Chemical Inventory Management Experience is a plus
- Experience in MS Office Skills: Outlook, PowerPoint, Word is a plus.
The overall physical exertion of this position requires:
- Sit or stand 2-3 hours in laboratory areas.
- Walk 2-3 hours within a facility.
- Reach above/below the shoulder, bend at the knees and waist.
- Lift up to 25 lbs.
- Office work activities, including keyboard, with fingers/hands/arms up to 4 hours.
- Work around moving laboratory equipment and machinery.
- Use of personal protective equipment in laboratory.
- Work with biohazards such as blood borne pathogens.
- Must be able to work in a laboratory, controlled environments requiring personal protective equipment.
- Job pace may be fast and job completion demands may be high.
- Employees may be required to manage hazardous wastes in compliance with company procedures & State/Federal/Local hazardous waste regulations. Duties may include Identifying, handling, generating, accumulating, storing, labeling.
- Ensure safety, security, and the environment in all aspect of the daily activities, and any potential safety hazards are addressed and corrected immediately.
- Understand ergonomic relationship between people, equipment and working environment.
Diversity is foundational to PerkinElmer and we know that hiring talent with different backgrounds will provide a greater impact for our customers and a more inclusive workplace for our team. Our commitment to creating a culturally diverse workplace is REAL! We know that it’s the people that make PerkinElmer a wonderful, enriching place to work that is why we are always searching for talented and motivated individuals to join the PerkinElmer Family.
So what’s in it for you?
We create a customized development plan to help you achieve your career goals. We partner with you to build a long and rewarding career by providing:
- On-the-job training
- Mentoring relationships
- Ongoing career development planning
- Company and external training programs
- Opportunities for internal career mobility
Our company fosters innovation, knowledge sharing, and teamwork for long-term success. We are committed to the development of your career, giving you opportunities to learn and grow. Simply put, we make a difference for you, so you can make a difference in the world.
We are passionate about our work and the benefits we create for our customers, our communities, and our environment. Every day, we help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
With about 13,000 employees worldwide, we pioneer scientific technologies for food and drug safety, environmental monitoring, industrial analysis, screening and diagnostic testing, and imaging for life sciences. We provide better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers make a profound impact on the world.