We are seeking motivated, innovative, skilled and experienced computational biologists to join our expanding team within the Human Genetics department. Candidates should be keen to drive and apply state of the art analysis methods to inform decision making across the GSK pipeline, integrating diverse and complex data types to translate genetic signals into innovative new medicines for patients with unmet medical need.
At the core of GSKs R&D approach is the identification of new medicines by focusing on ways to modulate the immune system, leveraging the vast amounts of human genetic data now being generated and applying cutting edge technologies in functional genomics and machine learning.
Within the Human Genetics team, we leverage scientific and technological advances, including investment in biobanks linked to large-scale human health databases, cutting-edge informatics platforms and integration of biological pathway and functional genomics data to identify novel targets with a high degree of human genetic validation. We continue to evaluate these targets throughout their life in the drug discovery and development pipeline, using genetics and genomics to identify the patients that are most likely to benefit and biomarkers to select these patients and assess efficacy.
The successful candidate will work in a multidisciplinary, collaborative and scientifically driven environment, interacting with GSK scientists and external collaborators to advance drug discovery and clinical development This field-leading research addresses important drug discovery and development challenges, directly impacts GSK’s R&D pipeline and leads to publications in top scientific journals.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement novel computational approaches to translate human genetic evidence to inform target selection and validation decisions across a range of disease areas.
- Shape the developing science of drug target identification and validation by providing scientific leadership within Human Genetics and across the Research organisation.
- Participate and engage with cross-functional project teams and external collaborators to drive innovative use of genetic/genomic data and analyses.
- Lead and deliver projects and prioritize scientific inquiries aligned to the Human Genetics and GSK R&D scientific strategy.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD and experience in computational biology, bioinformatics, computational sciences, machine learning or biomedical/biological sciences.
- Expertise in a programming language (such as R or Python) and a good working knowledge of common bioinformatics databases, resources and tools.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to communicate complex concepts and computational analyses clearly to influence diverse audiences.
- Sound understanding of statistics and biological concepts, coupled with data science skills to collect, integrate, mine and analyse complex biological data and translate them into testable hypotheses.
- Demonstrated experience working within or leading collaborative multidisciplinary teams.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
Demonstrated experience in the analysis and integration of multi-omics data (e.g. transcriptomics, regulatory genomics, proteomics) for disease research.
- Demonstrated experience of pathway and network methods for the analysis and interpretation of genetic or genomic data.
- Demonstrated experience of the analysis of single cell genomic data.
- Knowledge of machine learning approaches and their application to genetics/genomics.
- Knowledge of the drug discovery and development process.
- Publication record in peer reviewed journals.
Today there are still millions of people without access to basic healthcare, thousands of diseases without adequate treatments and millions more people who suffer from everyday ailments. At GSK we want to change this.
As a global healthcare company, we take on some of the world’s biggest healthcare challenges. By delivering a sustainable business, we provide health benefits to patients and consumers, improved shareholder returns as well as supporting wider society. We have three world-leading businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products.
We are committed to widening access to our products, so more people can benefit, no matter where they live in the world or what they can afford to pay. Each of our three businesses benefits from GSK’s commercial infrastructure, integrated supply networks and significant global presence.
As a global company, our reward packages are designed to meet the needs of our geographically diverse workforce. They are benchmarked against industry standards and relevant to your job, no matter where you live.
Our reward package includes:
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus that rewards you for your individual contribution to our strategy, as well as business targets
- Benefit programs designed to support you and your family, including access to healthcare and well-being programs, pension plan membership, savings programs, time off and childcare support
- Employee recognition programs which reward exceptional achievements
- Share ownership schemes which link your reward to GSK’s longer term performance
- A performance and development program that helps you identify what you need to do, and the behaviors you need to demonstrate, to achieve success.