A member of CornerStone Partners’ administration team, the Controller will utilize exceptional accounting and organizational skills to maintain and support the firm’s day-to-day financial operations. The successful candidate is accountable, unselfish, precise, and adept at managing and responding to detailed requests from varied sources, often with strict reporting deadlines.
The Controller will report to the chair of the firm’s Management Committee and collaborate closely with the HR Manager and external accounting firm to manage nearly all aspects of the firm’s financial operations. The Controller will be responsible for financial reporting, accounts payable and accounts receivable, company payroll, and tax and GAAP compliance for both CornerStone Partners and its affiliated management company. The Controller will also work with the finance and internal audit teams of Focus Financial Partners, CornerStone’s parent company, and with external tax accountants and auditors. This is a full-time salaried position located in our office in Charlottesville, Virginia. CornerStone offers a generous benefits package including group health insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, and employer match for retirement plan contributions.
- Manage accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable and intercompany transactions
- Review expense transactions to determine appropriate allocations to general ledger accounts
- Review and reconcile monthly financial reporting package for operating company
- Prepare financial reports for management company, including: Monthly and quarterly financial statements, Bank reconciliations, Annual budget and forecasts.
- Manage periodic audit testing procedures
- Provide tax data and reports to external tax accountant and parent company
- Handle wire transaction processing and intercompany accounting procedures and approvals
- Accumulate and consolidate vendor contracts and internal accounting records
- Assist with operating company forecasting and annual budget process
- Oversee internal controls consistent with SOX compliance regulations
- Prepare ad hoc analyses for Management Committee discussion
- Highly organized professional with exceptional accounting and financial statement analysis skills
- Preference and ability to thrive on a small team with a high degree of autonomy and accountability
- Effective and proactive communicator, in writing and in person
- Conscientious collaborator: approaches work with commitment and humility
- Ability to quickly and accurately analyze key financial data and estimate its impact on company financials
- 5+ years’ experience in public accounting or similar field
- Strong understanding of GAAP accounting and public company audit and reporting requirements; knowledge of cash accounting method and LLC partnership tax implications
- Minimum BA, BS in Accounting or Finance or other business-related field; CPA or advanced degree helpful
- Proficient in MS Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with Great Plains and QuickBooks accounting software a plus
- Must authorize a pre-employment background investigation.
CornerStone Partners is a dynamic, growth-oriented firm committed to developing a diverse and equitable workforce.
We are an outsourced investment office (OCIO) located in Charlottesville, Virginia. Our clients rely on the returns generated by their investment portfolios to fund their missions in health, education, conservation, and building and improving communities. They hire CornerStone to manage their investment program, including full-scale back-office operational and administrative support.
collaborate closely with each Client to tailor and establish an investment policy and asset allocation framework to meet their organization's unique needs and financial considerations.
is to develop a diversified, long-term investment portfolio that is well integrated with the institution's broader mission and strategy. All Clients are non/not-for-profit institutions with missions in education, healthcare, conservation, or improving access to resources in their local communities.
December 1, 2020, CornerStone Partners joined the Focus Financial Partners, Inc. partnership. Focus is a leading partnership of independent, fiduciary wealth management firms. CornerStone will further diversify Focus's partnership and complement the existing focus on the ultra-high net worth client segment. Focus partner firms maintain their operational independence and benefit from the synergies, scale, economics and best practices offered by Focus to achieve their business objectives. For more information about Focus, please visit focusfinancialpartners.com.