Principal Operations Project Lead
Provide technical and supervisory guidance to the Manufacturing Engineering team in evaluating new processes, and workflow systems to optimize plant efficiency. Applies automation and computerized technologies to manufacturing processes and systems. Lead role in the investigation and initiation of corrective actions on instrument manufacturing and final test problems. Reviews, evaluates, and implements engineering changes and specification requirements. Acts as technical liaison with production planning and engineering personnel.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Responsible for the project objective related to scheduling, cost, performance, and leading the project team through New Product Introductions (NPI’s) launches and existing product improvements using project management and lean principles.
- Drives DFX, DFM & DFA best practices w/ R&D during product development.
- Acts as primary focal point between the functional areas including product engineering, manufacturing, assembly and test engineers, product management, purchasing and quality.
- Coordinates and facilitates planning and delivery of project objectives including resource assignments, time to market, product cost, development expenses, and product performance.
- Coordinates Operations development expenses including but not limited to; tooling, manufacturing fixtures, test fixtures, PCBA test fixtures and layout upgrades.
- Ensures utilization of optimal manufacturing processes required to meet product and site gross margins.
- Improves communication and technical alignment with the global supply base to ensure product technical and financial needs are being met.
- Creates and maintains Design Transfer Plans for NPI.
- Coordinates Prototype, Pre-Pilot and Pilot builds supporting product verification and process validation.
- Manage accounts and projects, also assess new build plans, assess various procedures in the production process, and maintain an open line of communication with vendors and clients.
- Research and establish the rationale for product or process change ideas.
- Gather presentation material for justification of project implementation and to demonstrate change where applicable.
- Seek to improve existing products by leading a team responsible for identifying alternative methods, materials, and design of changes to reduce cost and manufacturing complexity.
- Lead value analysis reviews by existing product lines to optimize cost/performance factors and to benchmark against competitive products.
- Follow through on value engineering and continuous improvement projects through the entire engineering documentation process including change requests, change orders, notifications.
- Confirm manufacturing viability and specifications and industry standards are met for custom products released to Production.
- Review bills of material, assembly drawings, routings, and other production support documentation to maintain accuracy.
- Monitor and report on project budget and schedule performance and initiate measures to mitigate any budget overruns or schedule slippage.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of this job at any time.
- 15+ years of experience in a manufacturing/industrial/assembly & test environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Strong project management and leadership skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Resourceful and highly organized with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Understanding of financials (Revenue, labor costs, material costs, overhead, inventory, with hands on experience improving any combination of the above).
- High level of self-initiative and dependability must possess a positive “can-do” attitude.
- Ability to manage, prioritize, and balance multiple tasks and work successfully within a matrixed team environment.
- Solid understanding of LEAN Principles and Tools
Physical Requirements & Expectations:
- Lift, carry, push, and pull up to 25 lbs. unassisted and frequently bend, stoop, twist, climb, crouch/squat, kneel/crawl, sit and stand for long periods of time
Diversity is foundational to PerkinElmer and we know that hiring talent with different backgrounds will provide a greater impact for our customers and a more inclusive workplace for our team. Our commitment to creating a culturally diverse workplace is REAL! We know that it’s the people that make PerkinElmer a wonderful, enriching place to work that is why we are always searching for talented and motivated individuals to join the PerkinElmer Family.
So what’s in it for you?
We create a customized development plan to help you achieve your career goals. We partner with you to build a long and rewarding career by providing:
- On-the-job training
- Mentoring relationships
- Ongoing career development planning
- Company and external training programs
- Opportunities for internal career mobility
Our company fosters innovation, knowledge sharing, and teamwork for long-term success. We are committed to the development of your career, giving you opportunities to learn and grow. Simply put, we make a difference for you, so you can make a difference in the world.
We are passionate about our work and the benefits we create for our customers, our communities, and our environment. Every day, we help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
With about 13,000 employees worldwide, we pioneer scientific technologies for food and drug safety, environmental monitoring, industrial analysis, screening and diagnostic testing, and imaging for life sciences. We provide better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers make a profound impact on the world.