Our team (Research Statistics) collaborates with top laboratory and clinical scientists to advance exciting, innovative ideas in drug discovery. We design experiments, analyze data, and visualize results for projects that range from small studies with single endpoints to high-dimensional genomic data.
We use traditional statistical methods and modern machine learning algorithms, design experiments to develop new technologies and analyze data to identify biomarkers for clinical trials. Our work is varied and challenging with the common goal to advance the science of human health.
To succeed, team members need good technical and communication skills, the desire to develop their statistical and scientific knowledge continually, and the ability to develop practical solutions and apply statistical techniques in creative ways. Successful candidates will be innovative, pragmatic, and flexible, thriving in a dynamic, collegiate environment with frequent new challenges and excellent opportunities to develop and succeed.
In this role, the Statistician / Principal Statistician will be responsible for providing statistical design and analysis for scientific research projects at GSK under the supervision of a more experienced statistician within our team.
Key Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Collaborating closely with GSK scientists and other statisticians to address drug discovery questions with statistical methods.
- Applying existing statistical methods or developing new ones to address scientific problems.
- Designing experiments to address scientific questions clearly and accurately.
- Analyzing data accurately and visualizing scientific results clearly to provide insight for making drug discovery decisions.
- Communicating statistical concepts, design recommendations, and the results of statistical analyses clearly and accurately to GSK scientists and scientific managers.
- Working with other statisticians on internal department initiatives, e.g. to develop specific technical or consulting skills, new processes, etc.
- Reviewing literature and writing simulations to evaluate statistical methods for application to drug discovery problems.
- Representing our statistics team in collaborations with other internal statistics teams and scientists.
GSK’s overall R&D strategy focuses on science related to the immune system, the use of human genetics and advanced technologies. These unlock the potential of new areas of science, enabling us to design and develop new classes of medicine and bring them to patients more quickly and cost-effectively.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- MSc or PhD in statistics, biostatistics, or a closely related field.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Strong academic record
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Practical understanding of at least some of the following statistics topics: Experimental design, mixed models, Bayesian methods, linear and nonlinear regression, repeated measures, machine learning algorithms, analysis of high-dimensional data
- To apply statistical skills accurately to practical problems
- To collaborate well with statisticians and scientists from other disciplines
- To explain novel and standard statistical methods clearly to scientific colleagues
- To identify existing or develop new statistical methods to improve the design, analysis, and interpretation of scientific studies
- To evaluate, recommend, and implement statistical tools for addressing scientific problems
- To learn new statistics skills quickly and independently
- To remain motivated to continue learning new statistical skills and to solve challenging problems in drug discovery
Today there are still millions of people without access to basic healthcare, thousands of diseases without adequate treatments and millions more people who suffer from everyday ailments. At GSK we want to change this.
As a global healthcare company, we take on some of the world’s biggest healthcare challenges. By delivering a sustainable business, we provide health benefits to patients and consumers, improved shareholder returns as well as supporting wider society. We have three world-leading businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products.
We are committed to widening access to our products, so more people can benefit, no matter where they live in the world or what they can afford to pay. Each of our three businesses benefits from GSK’s commercial infrastructure, integrated supply networks and significant global presence.
As a global company, our reward packages are designed to meet the needs of our geographically diverse workforce. They are benchmarked against industry standards and relevant to your job, no matter where you live.
Our reward package includes:
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus that rewards you for your individual contribution to our strategy, as well as business targets
- Benefit programs designed to support you and your family, including access to healthcare and well-being programs, pension plan membership, savings programs, time off and childcare support
- Employee recognition programs which reward exceptional achievements
- Share ownership schemes which link your reward to GSK’s longer term performance
- A performance and development program that helps you identify what you need to do, and the behaviors you need to demonstrate, to achieve success.