- We are looking for a highly motivated candidate for the role of a functional genomics lab technician to join the functional genomics team.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting all lab activities from consumable management to assisting with assay development and optimization of high throughput gene-editing workflows.
- In this role, the candidate will work within a matrix, collaborative, fast-paced, team environment across a diverse biotherapeutic portfolio within the company.
- Provide basic laboratory support and coordinate with necessary services on-site to drive efficiencies and maximize value to the customer.
- Laboratory support activities may include local consumable restocking, balance and/or pH meter checks, and other laboratory maintenance activities.
- Maintaining mammalian cell cultures: basic refeeding, splitting, and harvesting activities. Assisting with the plating of cells.
- Support the development of target relevant cell-based assays; optimize, validate, and troubleshoot screening assay robustness, sensitivity, reproducibility; convert assays into HT screening format.
- Assisting with the optimization and utilization of gene editing technologies (CRISPR, RNAi) to develop in vitro functional models, and provide support for high-throughput screening.
- Ensure all tasks and responsibilities are performed according to industry-leading scientific and ethical standards and accurately documented in lab electronic notebook system
- B.S. in pharmacology, cell biology or biochemistry
- 5+ years of industry research experience with the ability to succeed in a collaborative, matrix environment.
- Experience in RNAi/CRISPR gene editing using various methods such as electroporation, lipid transfection, lentivirus infections.
- Expertise in developing protocols and utilization of liquid handling platforms such as the Hamilton STAR and Labcyte Echo as well as plate readers like BMG Pherastar.
- Experience with standard in vitro biochemical and cell-based assays (e.g. reporter gene, protein translocation, HTRF, ELISA etc.), including assay transfer, execution and troubleshooting.
- Experience in molecular biology techniques, including but not limit to qPCR and Western Blot.
- Computational skills enabling automated data acquisition and analysis, and familiarity with related data analysis applications, example Spotfire and PRISM.
- The overall physical exertion of this position may require:
- Sit or stand 2-3 hours in laboratory areas.
- Walk 2-3 hours within a facility.
- Reach above/below the shoulder, bend at the knees and waist.
- Lift up to 25 lbs.
- Office work activities, including keyboard, with fingers/hands/arms up to 4 hours.
- Work around moving laboratory equipment and machinery.
- Use of personal protective equipment in laboratory.
- Work with biohazards such as blood borne pathogens.
- Must be able to work in a laboratory, controlled environments requiring personal protective equipment.
- Job pace may be fast and job completion demands may be high.
- Employee may be required to manage hazardous wastes in compliance with company procedures & State/Federal/Local hazardous waste regulations. Duties may include: Identifying, handling, generating, accumulating, storing, labeling.
- Ensure safety, security, and the environment in all aspect of the daily activities, and any potential safety hazards are addressed and corrected immediately.
- Understand ergonomic relationship between people, equipment and working environment.
Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply.
Diversity is foundational to PerkinElmer and we know that hiring talent with different backgrounds will provide a greater impact for our customers and a more inclusive workplace for our team. Our commitment to creating a culturally diverse workplace is REAL! We know that it’s the people that make PerkinElmer a wonderful, enriching place to work that is why we are always searching for talented and motivated individuals to join the PerkinElmer Family.
So what’s in it for you?
We create a customized development plan to help you achieve your career goals. We partner with you to build a long and rewarding career by providing:
- On-the-job training
- Mentoring relationships
- Ongoing career development planning
- Company and external training programs
- Opportunities for internal career mobility
Our company fosters innovation, knowledge sharing, and teamwork for long-term success. We are committed to the development of your career, giving you opportunities to learn and grow. Simply put, we make a difference for you, so you can make a difference in the world.
We are passionate about our work and the benefits we create for our customers, our communities, and our environment. Every day, we help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
With about 13,000 employees worldwide, we pioneer scientific technologies for food and drug safety, environmental monitoring, industrial analysis, screening and diagnostic testing, and imaging for life sciences. We provide better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers make a profound impact on the world.