This full-time position is for a research scientist in the Advanced Technology R&D Department. The successful candidate will bring experience in scientific research with expertise in image analysis, optical systems, polymer science, biological science, and scientific instrumentation. Operating in a nimble and dynamic environment, the Research Scientist will be responsible for new technology and product development, as well as feasibility testing in the areas of imaging technologies, polymer science, and biological assays. This position will report to the Senior R&D Manager. Boston area based.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in research and development for imaging technologies, image analysis, consumable development, and bioassay method development.
- Develop prototype systems for new and improved products.
- Develop image analysis methods and algorithms for image cytometry products.
- Work with customers to support and develop new cell-based assays and applications using image cytometry systems, consumables, and reagents.
- Work with collaborators, develop and publish leadership content in the formats of peer-reviewed publications, scientific conference posters and presentations, and technical marketing content such as white papers, app notes, and scientific blogs.
- Develop leadership content and peer-reviewed publications to highlight the scientist’s research and Nexcelom’s product.
- Support customers by troubleshooting from an R&D perspective.
- Work with engineering, consumables/reagents, and software department for developing novel image cytometry systems and applications.
- Collaborate with academic, industry, and government labs to develop novel cell-based assays using image cytometry.
- Collaborate with different departments internally to set up biological experiments and test new equipment and consumables for next generation development.
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, biophysics, bioengineering, electrical engineering, material science, and computer science.
- Ph.D. in physics, biophysics, bioengineering, electrical engineering, material science, and computer science.
- Research experience in biophysics, optics, image processing, or related fields.
- Strong scientific and technical knowledge in microscopy and material science.
- 4+ years of research experience.
- Experience writing proposals.
- Experience in microscopy systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to work well in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Computer software experience of image and data analysis, and experimental results interpretation..
- Self-starter, able to work independently.
- Innovative problem solver.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: polymer science, microfluidics development, as well as hand-on experience with fluorescence microscopy.
Diversity is foundational to PerkinElmer and we know that hiring talent with different backgrounds will provide a greater impact for our customers and a more inclusive workplace for our team. Our commitment to creating a culturally diverse workplace is REAL! We know that it’s the people that make PerkinElmer a wonderful, enriching place to work that is why we are always searching for talented and motivated individuals to join the PerkinElmer Family.
So what’s in it for you?
We create a customized development plan to help you achieve your career goals. We partner with you to build a long and rewarding career by providing:
- On-the-job training
- Mentoring relationships
- Ongoing career development planning
- Company and external training programs
- Opportunities for internal career mobility
Our company fosters innovation, knowledge sharing, and teamwork for long-term success. We are committed to the development of your career, giving you opportunities to learn and grow. Simply put, we make a difference for you, so you can make a difference in the world.
We are passionate about our work and the benefits we create for our customers, our communities, and our environment. Every day, we help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
With about 13,000 employees worldwide, we pioneer scientific technologies for food and drug safety, environmental monitoring, industrial analysis, screening and diagnostic testing, and imaging for life sciences. We provide better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers make a profound impact on the world.