Research Specialist - Next Generation Sequencing
Position Title: Research Specialist – Next Generation Sequencing
Location: Upper Providence, PA
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate to provide critical lab research support at a customer site in Upper Providence, PA. Depending on experience level, he/she may be involved in running specific assays as well as performing cell culture activities and/or molecular biology protocols. He or she should have a solid background in Biology and/or Chemistry as well as great attention to detail, outstanding organizational skills, the ability to cross-train and, be able to work independently.
- Provide high quality NGS sequencing support to a large number of R&D projects.
- Work in a team atmosphere and coordinate a process for NGS. This includes attending project planning meetings, handling Human and Animal Biological Samples, extracting DNA/RNA and conducting NGS using a variety of sequencers.
- Process troubleshooting throughout the entire NGS workflow (nucleic acid isolation, library preparation, sequencing and analysis)
- Conduct necessary QA/QC experiments. Including, but not limited to, Agilent Bioanalyzer, Qubit Fluorospectrometer, qPCR
- Participate in data management, analysis and tracking.
- Continue technological improvements to increase productivity and cost-efficiency
- Data reporting, management, and interactions as appropriate with the teams.
- Operate and maintain laboratory instrumentation and robotics, including liquid sample handling platforms.
- Develop expertise with DNA Sequencing LIMS and analysis software (Sequencher, DNA Star, BLAST etc.).
- Develop organizational skills, presentation skills and attention to detail
- Interact with senior staff members as necessary
- Teamwork is critical.
- Ensure compliance with all R&D data integrity practices, ethics codes, standards and training, and safety training and practice.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2 years of experience in sequencing based molecular approaches
- Technical aptitude and background with NGS technologies
- Experience in single-cell sequencing and Nanostring profiling is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with library preparation techniques for different sequencing technologies.
- Technical insight and have hands-on experience with PCR techniques and DNA/RNA isolation methods.
- Ability to operate an array of sequencing and robotics platforms, i.e. Illumina, 10X Genomics, Nanostring, Tecan etc.
The overall physical exertion of this position requires:
- Sit or stand 2-3 hours in laboratory areas.
- Walk 2-3 hours within a facility.
- Reach above/below the shoulder, bend at the knees and waist.
- Lift up to 25 lbs.
- Office work activities, including keyboard, with fingers/hands/arms up to 4 hours.
- Work around moving laboratory equipment and machinery.
- Use of personal protective equipment in the laboratory.
- Work with biohazards such as blood borne pathogens.
- Must be able to work in a laboratory, controlled environments requiring personal protective equipment.
- Job pace may be fast and job completion demands may be high.
- Employees may be required to manage hazardous wastes in compliance with company procedures & State/Federal/Local hazardous waste regulations. Duties may include: Identifying, handling, generating, accumulating, storing, labeling.
- Ensure safety, security, and the environment in all aspects of the daily activities, and any potential safety hazards are addressed and corrected immediately.
- Understand ergonomic relationship between people, equipment and working environment.
Diversity is foundational to PerkinElmer and we know that hiring talent with different backgrounds will provide a greater impact for our customers and a more inclusive workplace for our team. Our commitment to creating a culturally diverse workplace is REAL! We know that it’s the people that make PerkinElmer a wonderful, enriching place to work that is why we are always searching for talented and motivated individuals to join the PerkinElmer Family.
So what’s in it for you?
We create a customized development plan to help you achieve your career goals. We partner with you to build a long and rewarding career by providing:
- On-the-job training
- Mentoring relationships
- Ongoing career development planning
- Company and external training programs
- Opportunities for internal career mobility
Our company fosters innovation, knowledge sharing, and teamwork for long-term success. We are committed to the development of your career, giving you opportunities to learn and grow. Simply put, we make a difference for you, so you can make a difference in the world.
We are passionate about our work and the benefits we create for our customers, our communities, and our environment. Every day, we help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
With about 13,000 employees worldwide, we pioneer scientific technologies for food and drug safety, environmental monitoring, industrial analysis, screening and diagnostic testing, and imaging for life sciences. We provide better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers make a profound impact on the world.