- San Diego, CA
- San Francisco, CA
- Waltham, MA
- St. Louis, MO
- Warren, NJ
- Research Triangle Park, NC
- Upper Providence, PA
- Philadelphia, PA
Are you excited about working with bleeding-edge technology and building platforms and systems that have profound global business impacts? If your interests are at the intersection of AI/ML platforms, Data Engineering, Pharma R&D discovery, and working with world-renowned researchers and data scientists, then read on for an exciting new opportunity at GSK!
The Senior Data Engineer, R&D Technology will use modern big data technologies to help accelerate drug discovery at GSK by fulfilling the following critical duties: Work on the flow and supply of data used by GSK’s world class scientists and AI/ML engineers, and contribute to a team that will build and operate a knowledge graph to be used as a source of scientific truth by scientists and computational biologists for gene to disease mapping and pharmacological discovery.
The person in this role will maintain the flow of data from source systems (RDBMS, unstructured) into the knowledge graph and other stores, build processes that query the graph, and maintain APIs that serve end scientific users, and maintain and monitor these systems in a secure, mission critical environment.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Build one or more cutting edge AI/ML platforms to serve 1,000s of scientists, bio statisticians, and computational chemists / biologists in R&D
- Liaise with the rest of R&D Tech and the Core Tech teams to deliver solutions quickly to data scientists on pre-built platforms / PaaS
- Access, source, cleanse, merge, ETL, and possibly re-model data from 1,000s of data sources both internal and external to GSK.
- Contribute to polyglot data structure architectures including property graph, knowledge graph, relational, object, and inverse index; researching the appropriate data sinks as needed by our customers.
- Contribute to the team’s overall knowledge by attending conferences, meetups, and contributing with new technologies and approaches
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor’s degree – Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or Computer Science
- Minimum 5 years as a full-time software engineer with experience in the data engineering domain
- Expert with JVM languages: Java and or Scala with a focus on functional programming
- Minimum 2 years working on big data platforms preferably Spark
- Experience with data stores including RDBMS/NoSQL/HDFS/Object store
- Minimum 3 years deploying solutions on cloud platforms preferably Azure and GCP
- Professional DevOps experience: Jenkins, Azure DevOps, CI/CD, Junit, Scalatest
- Infrastructure as code technologies: Terraform, Ansible, Cloud templates (Azure, GCP)
- Container technologies: Kubernetes, Helm, Docker
- Experience maintaining production applications
- Logging, tracing, and application monitoring
- Experience building and maintaining APIs
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Knowledge and property graph technologies: RDF, RDFS, OWL, SPARQL, Cypher, Tinkerpop, Gremlin, and others
- Graph algorithm knowledge
- Streaming data experience with technologies like Apache Kafka
- Familiarity with life sciences and/or healthcare data models, particularly biomedical and omics data strongly preferred
- Experience operating in a highly regulated and secure environment
Today there are still millions of people without access to basic healthcare, thousands of diseases without adequate treatments and millions more people who suffer from everyday ailments. At GSK we want to change this.
As a global healthcare company, we take on some of the world’s biggest healthcare challenges. By delivering a sustainable business, we provide health benefits to patients and consumers, improved shareholder returns as well as supporting wider society. We have three world-leading businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products.
We are committed to widening access to our products, so more people can benefit, no matter where they live in the world or what they can afford to pay. Each of our three businesses benefits from GSK’s commercial infrastructure, integrated supply networks and significant global presence.
As a global company, our reward packages are designed to meet the needs of our geographically diverse workforce. They are benchmarked against industry standards and relevant to your job, no matter where you live.
Our reward package includes:
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus that rewards you for your individual contribution to our strategy, as well as business targets
- Benefit programs designed to support you and your family, including access to healthcare and well-being programs, pension plan membership, savings programs, time off and childcare support
- Employee recognition programs which reward exceptional achievements
- Share ownership schemes which link your reward to GSK’s longer term performance
- A performance and development program that helps you identify what you need to do, and the behaviors you need to demonstrate, to achieve success.