Software Development Engineer
PerkinElmer, Inc., a global leader in detection, imaging, and diagnostic instrumentation, is seeking a permanent full-time, full-stack .NET/C# Software Development Engineer to work in Shelton, CT. In this role, you will assist in the continued development and maintenance of our proprietary product data management (PDM) system, where data integrity and application stability is prioritized. As part of a small team and under minimal supervision, you will be responsible for designing, developing, coding, testing, and debugging new software as well as producing enhancements and addressing defects found in existing software. The candidate will assist in requirements gathering and refinement, work with users to align solutions with our business initiatives, and implement those initiatives in a timely, cost-effective manner. The PerkinElmer Global PDM system is used daily by over 1,500 active users at PerkinElmer sites globally. It is the primary revision control system used for release of new product and product design changes, documentation archival, prototype part order management, and compliance management. The PDM system currently has light integrations into other key systems such as SAP ERP and various CAD tools, and to are looking to further expand the integrations into additional critical applications such as Solidworks and a 3rd party compliance management system used to obtain compliance evaluations (ROHS, Reach SVHC, Conflict Minerals, etc.), supporting evidence in the form of documentation, and certificates of compliance at both the part and assembly levels using the API’s provided for these 3rd party systems. As a member of the cross-business service team, our goal is to support the R&D engineering staff and the Global PDM user community in all aspects. Support can be in the form of general system usage related questions, remote assistance, requirements gathering/coding/implementation of PDM enhancements, writing custom tools, creating and executing custom SQL based reports, providing PDM training, and performing live PDM demonstrations. In addition to the PDM specific web and database development work, the Software Development Engineer will perform a variety of tasks on a day-to-day basis rather than strictly coding all day, every day. This is very interactive, dynamic, hands-on position, in a supportive environment with knowledgeable, approachable people. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, PerkinElmer inc. supports a work-from-home arrangement until on-site restrictions are lifted.
- Identify and address potential issues prior to these issues impacting the user community and impacting productivity whether actual code or performance related issues.
- Support the immediate needs of the user community in many facets from providing basic technical support and training to writing custom SQL reports and/or custom one-off tools. Users are located all around the globe and support is provided both locally and remotely.
- Using transact SQL to write stored procedures, user defined functions, table valued functions, views, and common table expressions to derive the required data from a rather substantial database, as well as updating/maintaining the web application front end to display the data and keeping potential performance concerns as a primary focus.
- Enhance and maintain all supporting applications. In addition to the primary PDM application, there is also an administrative web application which must be enhanced or modified in conjunction with enhancements made to the core application to provide administrative support for the new feature. There is an accompanying help system/user guide which contains the PDM system support documentation which must be kept up to date, an email notifications engine, and a few other minor supporting applications/utilities (SQL Server, ASP .NET C#).
- The cross-business service team has also created and is responsible for the development and maintenance of another internal system named the PerkinElmer Asset Management System (PAMS). This system is used for tracking PerkinElmer assets as well as managing the calibration cycle requirements of various instruments (SQL Server, .NET Core / Razor Pages C#).
- Use Jira to develop and maintain PDM system user requirements which are required to maintain a validated state as well the writing of bugs. Developers also assist software test team with writing test cases when required as well as reviewing and approving test cases for execution.
- Help identify and address any security risks within the PDM application regarding IP protection, 21CFRpart 11 and International Trade Compliance restrictions, as well as internal corporate policies such as restricting access to active research projects.
- Analyze, scrub, format, and migrate 3rd party data into the PDM system when business acquisitions occur, or an existing site migrates into the PDM system from a 3rd party system.
- Perform daily administrative tasks such as creating, enabling, and disabling user accounts. Provide workflow related user support, diagnose, and address any workflow issues and help streamline others as required.
- Assist with bringing PDM system availability to new platforms and implement better technologies where and when they make sense.
- Assist with evaluating and then integrating our PDM system with 3rd party systems if/when it will improve the experience of our users and increase overall productivity.
- Work with the various products leads to identity areas for improvement, determine the best approach to implement new features, address defects, and determine where performance gains can be made.
- Use Redgate SQL Compare and Data Compare tools to deploy SQL based releases and verify/validate correct implementation.
Bachelor’s degree Computer Science and two years industry experience in software services field
- Must be eligible to access items classified under International Trade Compliance law.
- The regular schedule for this salaried position is daytime hours, Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm.
- Fundamental knowledge of a typical development cycle from requirements gathering through development and testing, and finally through production implementation and support.
- Ability to conceptualize and turn requirements into working code within the PDM application with support from the lead developer.
- Ability to recognize, troubleshoot, and resolve application and/or server related issues
- Fundamental knowledge of and hands-on experience with JS libraries such as jQuery,JSON,HTML5,CSS3, and 3rdparty API usage.
- Proficient with MS SQL Server 2012+, Windows Server 2008+.Experience with Internet Information Services (ISS). Additional tools used: Redgate Products, SQL Compare, Data Compare, SQL Search, Beyond Compare, MS Office Suite, WireShark.
Diversity is foundational to PerkinElmer and we know that hiring talent with different backgrounds will provide a greater impact for our customers and a more inclusive workplace for our team. Our commitment to creating a culturally diverse workplace is REAL! We know that it’s the people that make PerkinElmer a wonderful, enriching place to work that is why we are always searching for talented and motivated individuals to join the PerkinElmer Family.
So what’s in it for you?
We create a customized development plan to help you achieve your career goals. We partner with you to build a long and rewarding career by providing:
- On-the-job training
- Mentoring relationships
- Ongoing career development planning
- Company and external training programs
- Opportunities for internal career mobility
Our company fosters innovation, knowledge sharing, and teamwork for long-term success. We are committed to the development of your career, giving you opportunities to learn and grow. Simply put, we make a difference for you, so you can make a difference in the world.
We are passionate about our work and the benefits we create for our customers, our communities, and our environment. Every day, we help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
With about 13,000 employees worldwide, we pioneer scientific technologies for food and drug safety, environmental monitoring, industrial analysis, screening and diagnostic testing, and imaging for life sciences. We provide better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers make a profound impact on the world.