Solutions Automation Engineer, Telecom Systems Business
We are looking for talented, driven, self-starter individuals to join our Telco Systems business unit engineering team. This role requires a demonstrated ability to conduct code development, test, and delivery for Dell’s telco products and solutions offerings.
About business unit and team
The Telco Systems BU creates products and solutions catering for the worldwide telecommunications market, which is exploding with new and exciting opportunities offered by new developments such as 5G, Internet of Things, and virtualized radio access networks (RANs). The market consists of communication service providers, managed service providers, hosting companies, content delivery network companies, cloud service providers, and consumer/enterprise web-technology providers.
Our engineering team is responsible for the creation and delivery of great software products and solutions, as well as services offerings for and to this market. The team works closely with a world-class product management team in defining and road-mapping the offerings. Together, we have a strong track record of creating unique value for Dell Technologies, with a strong, positive impact on the company’s bottom line. The engineering team works closely with key service providers customers around the world, which, taken together, represent about 70% of the market. Collaboratively, we create production-worthy offerings that are unique, cutting-edge, and shape this emerging market. With each success we achieve, we push the envelope more for our customers, and then rinse and repeat!
Please apply for this position if this excites you! The ideal candidate will be a mid-career individual, with strong technical training, impeccable academic / industrial pedigree, a strong record of innovation, and is looking for her/his next bigger challenge. The individual will be a top-notch programmer with an inquisitive mind, be a self-learner, be an excellent communicator, and above all, be efficient in all that they do. The individual will work with geographically dispersed teams, so experience operating in such intercontinental environments will be a huge plus.
Skills and experience
- Telco software and solutions development in one or more of: SD-WAN, SASE, IoT, MEC, CDN, RAN, OpenRAN/O-RAN, LTE/4G and 5G deployments, OSS/BSS etc.
- Experience with developing Telco platform models: NFV, MEC (e.g. ETSI MEC), distributed & federated edge platforms. CDN (content distribution network) software experience will be a strong plus (E.g. Apache Traffic Server / Control software)
- Distributed systems architecture, design, and implementation. Experience with classic distributed algorithms (implementation, system configuration, trade-offs, state-of-the-art), demonstrable understanding of stateful and stateless (i.e. declarative) execution will be a huge plus.
- Hands-on experience with one or more of: virtualization (e.g. ESXi, KVM) and/or containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes) or both (e.g. Kubevirt).
- Rudimentary knowledge of technologies, one or more of: Server / storage / networking BMC (baseboard mgmt. controller) access using APIs such as Redfish, Dell’s iDRAC, BIOS or lifecycle controller access & settings
- Experience with one or more of: remote management and automation tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Salt etc.
Nice to have
- Strong common open-source tools / platforms, and Linux expertise
- Expertise in one or more of: modern software development processes including test-driven development, DevOps models, continuous integration, continuous testing, agile development with Jira/Git/Bitbucket/Confluence or similar platforms
- Experience with one or more private cloud platforms such as: OpenStack, VMWare etc.
- Rudimentary understanding & debug ability of L2 and L3 networking issues
- An understanding of large system performance measurements and analysis will be a strong plus
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral – strongly required
- Experience operating as part of global teams is strongly required
- Design, implement, and deliver one or more functional building blocks of Telco software or solution offerings
- Document all aspects of the offering and deliver to professional document writing team for internal / external / customer facing publication
- Participate in, and enthusiastically contribute to the overall system design
- Work with external software partners (including open-source projects) to evaluate, understand, incorporate, and successfully integrate their software technologies into the platform product
- Provide input to the creation of technical and/or marketing communications
- Bachelors or master’s in computer science or related disciplines. Exception candidates without college degrees, but with the ability to prove their skills & qualifications will also be considered.
- We are looking for candidates with 20+ years, 15+ years, and 10+ years of relevant experience (or equivalent combination of education and work experience). Each experience level will be matched with appropriate levels of employee grade in the company, if hired.
Here at Dell Technologies, We believe progress sits at the intersection of humanity and technology. That’s why we are committed to driving human progress and transforming lives with world-class technologies. Through our reach, technology, and people we strive to create a positive and lasting impact on humankind and the planet. By joining us, you can be part of the team that is maximizing time to value our products and solutions for our customers, partners, and team members.
We have opportunities across the globe. A team fueled by collaboration. A culture that fosters innovation and values a diverse and inclusive workplace. We’re made up of strong, smart people dedicated to doing their best work and driving success for our customers. We Are Ready For You.
Learn more about our opportunities below and find a career that inspires you.
By 2030, 50% of our global workforce and 40% of our global people leaders will be women, 25% of our U.S. workforce and 15% of our U.S. people leaders will be black/African American and Hispanic/Latino minorities, and 50% of the people empowered by our social and education initiatives will be girls, women or underrepresented groups
Dell's team members are an incredible force focused on building a greater level of involvement in our global diversity practices across our business. Our highest aspirations reflect how we’ll make our positive social impact real and measurable.